Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Thoughts on Doug Marrone Being Named the Bills Head Coach



On Monday January 7, the Buffalo Bills named Syracuse coach Doug Marrone their new head coach. It’s a little strange to see how this came to fruition. I saw his name mentioned as a possible candidate but didn’t think much of it. After there was a report that he was staying at Syracuse I thought, “Ok lets move on.” The Bills did interview other candidates including Oregon coach Chip Kelly and eventually made their choice of Marrone. Marrone represents a much different choice for the Bills as they have never made a college coach their head coach. As much was I wanted a head coach with experience (Lovie Smith) or an offensive minded coach (Mike McCoy), I like the choice of Marrone and what he brings to the team. As noted elsewhere it was not the retread coach route but something fresh and different.  I liked what Jerry Sullivan from the Buffalo News said, “It was not the safe choice and safe is what got them in this fix.” The enthusiasm that Doug Marrone brings is much welcomed and I’m excited to think about what he can bring to the Bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment